Treatment for Ear Infections
Ear infections are very normal, especially in children. Although ear infections usually go away on their own, contact us or your GP if it does not heal within 3 days. At Duncans Pharmacy, our clinically trained pharmacists are capable of treating ear infections in London.
Symptoms of ear infection
The most common symptoms of an ear infection usually include:
- Pain and discomfort inside the ear
- High fevers
- Feeling sick
- Low energy levels
- Hearing difficulty
- Discharge coming out of the ear
- A feeling of pressure inside the ear
- Itchiness and irritation in and around the ear
- Flaky skin in and around the ear
Young children and toddlers with an ear infection may also:
- Pull or rub their ear
- Not react to certain sounds
- Be restless or irritable
- Keep losing their stability
Although ear infections usually clear up within 3 days, some symptoms may be experienced for up to a week.
Can a pharmacist help with an ear infection in London?
Yes, visit Duncan’s Pharmacy and speak to our pharmacist if you think you have an ear infection. They will recommend either acidic eardrops or painkillers to aid stop bacteria or fungus from spreading.
Infections inside the ear
Antibiotics are not normally given since infections inside the ear usually clear up on their own. However, they may be offered if:
- An ear infection does not clear up within 3 days
- Fluid is coming out of the ear
- You have a condition that puts you at risk of severe complications, for instance cystic fibrosis
Outer ear infections
The GP or pharmacist will prescribe:
- Antibiotic eardrops – for treating a bacterial infection
- Steroid eardrops – to bring down swelling
- Antifungal eardrops – for a fungal infection
- Antibiotic tablets – for severe bacterial infection
However, eardrops may not work if they’re not properly used.
Get in touch with us today to learn more about our Ear Infections service in London.